Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Day 6 Protect Your Plan

I know from personal experience from my other diet attempts that what other people say sometimes has too big of an effect on if you stick with it or not. The first line in the chapter really struck me, it goes "No one will ever care as much about your diet plan as you." It's so true. So why do we let other outside people advise us on it?

In the past when I start a diet I always tell everyone around me. I lose about 10lbs and when people ask, I just go ahead and tell them everything. From what diet it is, to what I eat, to how much I exercise... I understand why I do this. If I knew someone who was trying to lose weight I would cheer for them and want to know so maybe I could also benefit from this diet. Not all people are like that though. Some people (mostly coworkers and friends) try telling you to save your money and then act like your new nutritionist or personal trainer. Most people who say this are people who've only ever needed to lose a small amount of weight, so it works for them. If they don't try to give you some advise then they try to encourage you to 'cheat' every now and again.

This chapter has some useful phrases to use if people are getting pushy. If you have someone who's trying to make you eat something, sidestep the situation with this phrase "Not just yet; I'm going to wait a little while." This way you don't offend anyone by outright refusing the food and that person should leave you alone for a while. If your asked again, use the same phrase or a variation like "Thanks, but I'll still wait a little bit." In a social setting it's hard to monitor someone the whole night, so they shouldn't be able to tell what you've been eating the entire time.

Another useful thing to know is what to tell people when they do ask about your weight loss. The book recommends avoiding the topic and not telling anyone your on a diet. It says to just say your following a healthy eating program. I personally have done this. The only people that know I'm on JC is my family. My coworkers have noticed my eating habits have changed. When asked I just say I'm trying to eat healthy and most people don't ask anything after that. As mentioned before, a friend from work did notice I have lost weight. She asked me "Have you lost weight?" I replied "Yeah I have." She said she noticed my face looking thinner, and I thanked her for noticing. Beyond that I didn't tell her anything else, and she didn't ask.

The exercise today is to write down at least three situations you might need to defend your plan and what you'll do. I've kinda already done this with the above paragraphs, so I'm going to skip writing more down.

I'm going for weigh in tomorrow and measurements. I'm mostly excited because I know I did really good this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weight Loss Ticker